The General Assembly has provided monies to reward superior faculty who go above and beyond the expected levels of delivering instruction and improving educational excellence as demonstrated by student outcomes. Instructors in curriculum, occupational extension, and basic skills programs will be eligible for this award. Award recipients will receive a travel allowance to be used for approved professional development activities, instructional supplies and/or equipment needs for a specific program or academic improvement project, provided by the General Assembly.
The Criteria for Determining Excellence in Teaching
- Ability to provide quality instruction and effective Active Learning:
- Innovation in Active Learning techniques in the classroom;
- Ability to lead, motivate, and engage students in the Active Learning process; and
- Ability to relate to and interact with students, using Active Learning and high quality instructional best practices.
- Ability to provide quality instruction through the use of Technology to support Active Learning:
- Use of presentation software;
- Web enhanced (Group projects, and discussions);
- Interactive Instructional Aids; and
- Use of innovative technology in classroom teaching.
- Support the total mission of the College and NC Community College System:
- Leadership beyond the classroom on campus to include all non-teaching duties such as curriculum development, lab facilities management, new course development, club leadership, etc.;
- Leadership in the local community with particular emphasis placed on activities, on behalf of or resulting from, employment with the college.
- Leadership in professional groups.
Any full-time faculty member teaching at least 9 contact hours per semester per year (most recent fall and spring semesters). Recipients from the two previous years may not be nominated for an Excellence in Teaching Award. Any part-time instructor who has taught at least 12 contact hours (most recent fall and spring semester) and has been employed with Rowan-Cabarrus Community College for at least 3 consecutive years may also apply or be nominated for an Excellence in Teaching Award. Members of the selection committee may not be nominated or provide nominations for other candidates.