What makes Rowan County Early College High School innovative? What does Rowan County High School do that makes it special? Most people know RCEC is housed on RCCC’s campus. Moreover, high school students who attend it can graduate high school as well as earn an AA or an AS degree and up to 64 transferable college credits in just four years. But how has the high school been faring lately?
- RCEC is one of only two high schools in Rowan County that made AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) as measured by the No Child Left Behind federal education initiative.
- RCEC’s overall performance is 90%, the highest composite performance score in RSS.
- RCEC 10th graders took the state writing test and had the highest scores in RSS with a 93% passage rate. Two students also scored level 4, which is extremely difficult to achieve.
- The school attendance rate is 98%.
- RCEC has the highest EOC (End of Course) high school scores in the RSS district in: Algebra I—97% passage rate; Algebra II—92% passage rate; English I—98% passage rate; Physical Science—97% passage rate; US History—2nd in RSS, with one high school beating RCEC by 1 point.
RCEC students achieved all of these commendable results while still taking college classes. This year marks the fourth year of the school, and we look forward to watching our first group of students graduate.