High School Programs

About Career & Technical Education Pathway

Earn tuition-free course credits at Rowan-Cabarrus toward a job credential, certificate or diploma in a technical career. The Career & College Promise Career Technical Education Pathway leads to a certificate or diploma aligned with a high school Career Cluster.


To be eligible for enrollment, a high school student must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a high school junior or senior;
  • Have a weighted GPA of 3.0 on high school courses or have the recommendation of the high school principal or his/her designee; and
  • Meet the prerequisites for the career pathway.

Application Procedures

Students must complete the Career and College Promise application for admission to be admitted into a Career and Technical pathway.

  • Career and College Promise- Application
  • Career and College Promise- Technical Education Agreement Registration

The high school will document eligibility criteria (high school GPA and PLAN or other assessment scores) on the student’s application for admission. A home schooled or non-public high school student must submit a transcript and official test scores from an approved assessment test.

Home schooled students must submit a copy of the state’s certification certificate for the home school.


  1. Career & Technical Education courses may be used to provide partial or full fulfillment of a four-unit career cluster. Where possible, students should be granted articulated credit based on the local or state North Carolina High School to Community College articulation agreement.
  2. To maintain eligibility for continued enrollment, a student must
    • Continue to make progress toward high school graduation, and
    • Maintain a 2.0 in college coursework after completing two courses.
    • A student who falls below a 2.0 GPA after completing two college courses will be subject to the college’s policy for satisfactory academic progress.

Programs of Study

A student must enroll in one program of study and may not substitute courses in one program for courses in another. The student may change his or her program of study major with approval of the high school principal or his/her designee and the college’s chief student development administrator.