- This event has passed.
Investigative Discourse Analysis (ONLINE – ITRP Eligible Class)
September 21 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Instructor: Don Rabon REGISTER HERE and use the course code 103472.
- Date: September 21-October 16, 2020 Registration for this class ENDS on 09/15/2020.
- Hours: 24
Course Description: Meta communication comprises the “communication within communication”.What the interviewee intended to convey may be different than what was, in actuality expressed. This session delineates the way and manner an interviewer can become attuned to the elements and practices of meta communication – in face-to-face as well as written communication – and respond, from an interviewing perspective, accordingly. Participants in this class must have previously completed a foundational Investigative Discourse Analysis class.
- At the conclusion of this training the participant will be able to:
- Identify elements of meta communication with a written narrative or transcript.
- Identify elements of meta communication from a video of an interview.
- In both cases above, develop subsequent amplifying questions.
Course Requisite: Must have taken Don Rabon’s foundational Investigative Discourse Analysis”. The text-based class requires that the participant have a copy of “Investigative Discourse Analysis” 2nd edition, Rabon/Chapman – Carolina Academic Press
Evaluation Procedures: Student will be completing practical exercise assignments and participating in practical exercises that will be evaluated throughout the course. The student must successfully complete all assignments and practical exercises to receive a satisfactory grade.