VA Benefits General Information

  • The student must choose a major (program of study) offered by Rowan Cabarrus Community College and listed in the RCCC catalog. He or she must meet all admissions criteria established by RCCC for that program, as well as meeting all VA requirements to receive educational benefits.
  • Your admission’s file must be complete, which includes an official high school transcript or valid GED scores, an official transcript indicating that you received an Associate Degree or higher, official transcripts from all colleges you have attended, and / or any service school which may be evaluated for transfer credit before you can be certified to receive educational benefits from the Veteran’s Administration.  Any required placement testing must be completed as well.
  • Once application and admissions steps are completed, the student must make satisfactory progress toward his or her goal and meet all academic standards of progress for RCCC.  Please refer to the RCCC catalog for detailed requirements.  Only classes that meet specific requirements for a student’s program can be certified for VA benefits. To be paid for remedial courses, college placement test results must require that the student enroll in the remedial course(s).
  • The student’s RCCC VA file must be complete, which includes an Application for VA Education Benefits or a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, Member Copy 4 of student’s DD 214, or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) form, Certificate of Eligibility, and/or other supporting documentation as requested by the certifying official before an Enrollment Certification can be sent to the Department of Veteran Affairs.
  • For normal fall and spring terms, full-time VA benefits will be paid for students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours, ¾- time pay for nine to 11 hours, and half-time pay for six to eight hours.  Unless specifically requested, no certification will be made for less than half-time enrollment for a normal term. For summer or any other non-standard term, VA will compute payments based on hours and term length.  For RCCC’s full summer session, (ten weeks of classes), seven hours equal full-toseime pay, five hours equal ¾-time pay, and four hours equal half-time pay.  Mini-sessions–those that are five or eight weeks long–will change this computation.
  • A program change must be completed in writing with the VA certifying official and will require an official evaluation of all previous credits before a student can be certified for the new program. Under current regulations and policy, dual majors are not allowed. When a new catalog is published, if a student decides to graduate under the new program requirements, the student must notify the school certifying official of this decision, so a new evaluation can be completed.  The student may not change back to an older catalog requirement at any time.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to notify the VA certifying official of any changes that may affect VA benefits, such as adding or dropping a class, changing between full-time and part-time enrollment status from term to term, withdrawing from school, or ceasing attendance in class for any reason.  The student must also notify Student Records, the VA certifying official, and the VA of changes of address and telephone contact information.
  • Students cannot be paid for audited classes, independent study classes, credits by exam, classes taken outside of the curriculum, repeated classes with a passing grade, classes with a “W” or Incomplete grade, classes for which transfer credit has been awarded, or any other classes not counting toward graduation in the student’s program of study.
  • If substituting a class, an official, signed substitution form must be on file in Student Services, and copied to the certifying official.
  • Students are required to pay all charges at the time of registration.  The Department of Veteran’s Affairs makes payments of education benefits directly to the student for the period they are in attendance in an eligible program as long as they have remaining entitlement. (Chapter 33 Post 9/11 may be an exception)
  •  Class attendance is essential. Students must attend class to receive VA benefits.  Failure to attend may result in a “W” grade by the instructor, which will mean a change in VA entitlement and may result in an overpayment. For Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill, (prior active duty), and Chapter 1606, (guard/selected reserve), students must verify enrollment and attendance each month to receive payments.  This can be done by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application at:  www.gibill.va.gov, or by calling 1-877-823-2378 (IVR) and following the prompts. Verification should be done on the last day of each month.
  • Student’s receiving benefits through the Veteran’s Educational Assistance Program (VEAP/Chapter 32) or through the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) may receive a Certification of Attendance Form.  This form must be completed, signed, and returned by the student to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs in the envelope provided in order for the monthly check to be released.  If the information on the form is not correct, the student should copy the VA certifying official before returning it to the Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs.  If items on the form are changed, it may result in a delay of payment.
  • Students receiving Veteran’s Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31) benefits are required to stay in contact with the Veteran’s Affairs Office in Winston-Salem regarding verification of or changes in enrollment.
  • The student has the responsibility of complying with all of the above as well as other VA rules and procedures covered in appropriate laws, regulations and VA pamphlets.
This entry was posted in Financial Aid, Student Services and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.