There are no upcoming events at this time.
Rowan-Cabarrus offers the associate in applied science degree in biotechnology. Students can take all of the courses required for this degree at the college’s building on the North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC). If you like science and math, have an interest in different kinds of scientific research, and think you would enjoy working in a lab and applying research to new products and processes, a career in biotechnology might be for you.
- Biotechnology uses living cells and their molecules to make useful products such as medicines to treat disease, vaccines to help prevent disease, and it helps in the development of diagnostic tests that detect disease.
- Biotechnology is used to produce better plants and enhanced crops that are more resistant to insects and harsh weather.
- Biotechnology is used to produce alternative fuels, such as bioethanol, and microorganisms that help clean up oil spills.
- Biotechnology also is used to produce industrial enzymes, like those used to make “stone-washed” jeans and “green” cleaning products.
There are numerous industries using biotechnology every day. These include pharmaceuticals, agriculture, brewing and distilling, food manufacturing, apparel, plastics and more.
The North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis is bringing biotechnology career opportunities to Cabarrus and Rowan counties. These jobs will be available to people with specialized, two-year associate degrees.
- Laboratory Technician
- Research Assistant
- Greenhouse Technician
- Bioprocessing Manufacturing Technician
- Quality Control Technician
- Instrumentation Technician
Please contact one of the biotechnology faculty members to meet and talk about the biotechnology program. We look forward to hearing from you!
Agriculture uses biological know-how to get better crop yields and overall better quality produce. For example, your favorite watermelon is seedless because of biotechnology. It was achieved by cross-breeding!
Biotechnology saves lives. The insulin that is FDA has approved is synthetic and a product of research and experimentation in biotechnology.
Biotechnology average salary range from $30,000 to over $100,000 depending on the position.
The internship solidified my passion of working for a leading company in the biotechnology field and I am proud to say that I work full-time and will continue to after graduation.Faith Musengo
Everything that I learned in the biotechnology program, I am doing almost on a daily or weekly basis. I’ve even taught co-workers how to use the high-tech lab equipment. I learned how to fully operate machines like the high performance liquid chromatograph while in the Rowan-Cabarrus biotechnology program.TeQuana Bayless