- Biotechnology uses living cells and their molecules to make useful products such as medicines to treat disease, vaccines to help prevent disease, and it helps in the development of diagnostic tests that detect disease.
- Biotechnology is used to produce better plants and enhanced crops that are more resistant to insects and harsh weather.
- Biotechnology is used to produce alternative fuels, such as bioethanol, and microorganisms that help clean up oil spills.
- Biotechnology also is used to produce industrial enzymes, like those used to make “stone-washed” jeans and “green” cleaning products.
There are numerous industries using biotechnology every day. These include pharmaceuticals, agriculture, brewing and distilling, food manufacturing, apparel, plastics and more.
The North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis is bringing biotechnology career opportunities to Cabarrus and Rowan counties. These jobs will be available to people with specialized, two-year associate degrees.
- Laboratory Technician
- Research Assistant
- Greenhouse Technician
- Bioprocessing Manufacturing Technician
- Quality Control Technician
- Instrumentation Technician
Please contact one of the biotechnology faculty members to meet and talk about the biotechnology program. We look forward to hearing from you!