TRIO Student Support Services

Rowan-Cabarrus Community College has been awarded a federal TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) grant of $1.3 million to be used over a five-year period. The grant provides the College with $261,888 in federal funding annually, which will finance 75 percent of the program, with the remaining 25 percent coming from non-governmental sources. The funding will support college students among underserved populations with academic skills, motivation and services to successfully complete a postsecondary education degree. The goal of the TRIO Student Support Services program is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants. Eligible students include low-income, first generation and/or students with a documented disability. 

The TRIO SSS program at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College promotes student success by providing proactive academic support services in an effort to empower students to overcome access challenges to higher education and develop the confidence and understanding of how to be successful in the college setting. This program focuses on educational planning and goal setting initiatives geared toward graduation and/or transfer and career pathways. The Rowan-Cabarrus Community College TRIO SSS program is funded to serve 140 students each year.

The TRIO Student Support Services program at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College will empower underserved students to achieve their future goals, create productive learning communities that build students’ positive college identity, and increase graduation and retention rates for our students to realize their maximum potential.

Mission

The TRIO Student Support Services program at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College will empower underserved students to achieve their future goals, create productive learning communities that build students’ positive college identity, and increase graduation and retention rates for our students to realize their maximum potential.

TRIO Services

All services are provided at no cost to TRIO SSS students.

Academic Advising

Upon acceptance into the program, each student is assigned a TRIO Advisor, whom the student will meet with periodically. The advisor will work closely with students and monitor their academic progress and connect students to appropriate resources throughout their academic careers at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College.

Financial Literacy

TRIO students will be offered a variety of opportunities to increase personal financial literacy. These offerings will afford growth opportunities about budgeting, debt reduction, aspects of finance and repayment, and relevant topics surrounding economics and market trends.

Transfer Planning

In addition to graduating from Rowan-Cabarrus, TRIO supports and promotes students to continue their education. Assigned advisors assist students with the processes related to transferring to a four-year college or university such as understanding the admissions process, completing applications, and arranging visits to colleges and universities of interest.

Academic Support

TRIO Advisors will facilitate assessments with students to explore career interests, personality traits and learning styles. In addition, they will help students identify potential or existing challenges to academic success, and connect students to the appropriate resources offered by Rowan-Cabarrus. TRIO students will also have a designated study area equipped with computer access.

Cultural & Social Events

TRIO students are privileged to take part in a variety of activities each year at little or no cost to the student.

Application

Interested students may apply for the TRIO Student Support Services program by completing the TRIO Application form. Once submitted, students will be contacted by a member of the TRIO team to schedule an interview. Students may also stop by the TRIO SSS Center to complete the application.

*Si sería útil completar el formulario en español, utilice estas instrucciones.

Resources

Meet the TRIO SSS Team

TRIO SSS Center Locations

North Campus

1333 Jake Alexander Blvd., S.
Salisbury, N.C. 28146
Building 100, Suite 100

South Campus

1531 Trinity Church Rd.
Concord, NC 28027
Building 1000, Suite 125