College & Career Readiness

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a transcript?

HSE/GED transcript requests must be submitted online through Diploma Sender or by calling 1-855-313-5799. This change was effective January 14, 2019.

Is there a charge for my transcript?

Yes, there may be a $15.00 charge per Diploma Sender transcript. Phone orders may be charged an additional $6.00.

Can I get an unofficial transcript?

No, our local HSE/GED records were transferred to Raleigh. The HSE Records Office has to validate them in order for them to be official. As your local community college, RCCC does not award the HSE/GED diploma; we provide basic skills instruction and testing.

The North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges awards the HSE/GED credential and maintains the permanent records of all testers in the state. As a result, all official transcripts must be provided by Diploma Sender.

I’m a minor, how do I get enrolled in GED/HSE?

Minors must be officially withdrawn from high school for at least six months to be considered for the GED/HSE program. If a minor is not officially withdrawn from high school, a waiting period of six months will be required and it will begin from the date that the application is received by Rowan-Cabarrus Community College. Please refer to the Career & College Readiness minor student application for instructions.

Please also note that minors cannot attend evening GED orientation or evening ABE/GED classes. Minors must attend morning orientation and morning ABE/GED classes.

I want to enroll in Adult High School, does the six month waiting period apply to me?

No, the waiting period does not apply. However, you must have 16 credits to enroll in Adult High School.

Are there any requirements to enroll in the HSE program?

Yes. Students must be at least 18 years old. Minors must be officially withdrawn from high school for at least six months to be considered for this program.

Where can I take ABE, AHS or HSE classes?

We offer classes at the Rowan-Cabarrus Community College North and South Campuses, as well as several off campus sites.

What is the cost?

There is no charge for instruction in our Adult Basic Education, HSE, ELL (ESL), or S.O.A.R. Programs. There is a testing fee to cover the costs of the HSEA.

How do I get started?

Option 1: Complete the online registration form for Career & College Readiness Registration.

Option 2: Call 704-216-7222 to request to be placed on the registration list.

What do I need to get started?

On the first day of class you will need to bring your photo ID, social security number, paper, pen, and pencil.

When can I begin working on my HSE?

Classes begin each Monday at both the North (Salisbury) and South (Concord) Campuses. Students will have the option of attending either a daytime class or an evening class, whichever fits into their schedule.

What is the ABE class?

ABE stands for adult basic education. These classes are designed for students who need to improve their basic reading, writing, and/or math levels. These classes are open to all students, whether they have their high school diploma or not.

What times are classes offered?

Morning, afternoon, or evening classes are available Mondays through Thursdays.

Is attendance mandatory for ABE or HSE classes?

Yes. Once a student registered for either the ABE or the HSE class, they are expected to attend at least 75% of the class time they signed up for. Students who fail to attend 75% of the class time will be dropped from the program so that we can make room for students who can attend.

Can I take my classes online?

Online adult high school and online GED/HSE equivalency classes are available for those students who qualify.

Where can I get help with writing for college and career?

Do you want to improve your writing for a college class or job? For more information…