Digital Solutions: Online Learning Materials (OLM) and e-Texts (Electronic Textbooks) FAQs
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College (RCCC) offers digital solutions for many of its courses. Not only are such solutions more affordable than buying traditional textbooks, but they also offer more interactive, exciting, and engaging educational experiences.
What digital solutions are offered at RCCC?
Digital solutions provide a completely digital experience that is accessed directly through Blackboard (the College’s Learning Management System or LMS). Digital Solutions include publisher software, online learning materials (including platforms and assignment portals), and e-Textbooks (or e-Texts) adopted by the College.
How do students access digital learning materials for their class?
When students log into their Blackboard course, digital solutions are available and ready to use. Make sure the pop-up blocker is disabled within the browser. Students may also add the software or e-Text to the approved or allowed list within the pop-up blocker application.
What if students need assistance?
Faculty members have been trained to help with digital solutions (or can put students in touch with customer support through the publisher). The Tutoring Centers on North or South Campus can also provide assistance.
Do certain internet browsers work better?
Yes! Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Google Chrome are recommended; sometimes Internet Explorer presents compatibility issues for Blackboard in general.
What benefits are associated with digital solutions?
Through this initiative, students have access to course materials on day one; no more sold-out bookstores! Students also notice lower costs, additional (and usually free) resources, no access codes, and the ability to pay for materials at the time of registration (shows up as a “materials cost” on bills and receipts).
Other Helpful Information
- Rowan-Cabarrus’ digital solutions, and Blackboard, work best in the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Publisher content usually launches in a new window; therefore, all pop-up blockers need to be disabled or set to allow publisher content to launch properly (if students do not wish to completely disable the pop-up blocker).
- Digital solutions at RCCC are platform independent, meaning they are accessible on phones, tablets, iPads, laptops, etc.
- e-Texts, including videos, quizzes, charts, and presentations, offer multiple modes of instruction for all learners.
- Provided content is ADA compliant and will adjust to students’ needs.
- Finally, students are encouraged to go to class (or to reach out to their instructors by email) before purchasing any additional materials. The bookstore offers optional, loose-leaf versions of all e-textbooks, but they are at an additional cost (approximately $20).