Transfer Center

Transfer to Rowan-Cabarrus

Transferring College Coursework for Credit

Transfer students who have earned college-level credit from regionally accredited institutions may be awarded credit toward their program of study at Rowan-Cabarrus. Credits earned at non-regionally accredited institutions are generally not accepted, but will be evaluated under certain circumstances. Students must be admitted to Rowan-Cabarrus before an evaluation will be conducted.

Rowan-Cabarrus requires an official transcript from transferring institutions. Transfer courses must be equivalent Rowan-Cabarrus courses in descriptions and semester hours, and must have a grade of C or higher to be considered. Quality points will not be transferred.

Rowan-Cabarrus will also review credits earned at post-secondary institutions outside of the United States for international students or United States citizens who have earned credits abroad. Please see Admission Requirements for International Students for more information.

Students will receive notification to their Rowan-Cabarrus email account once their transcripts have been reviewed. Please allow three to five business days for processing. The process may be delayed during peak times when students beginning Fall and Spring semesters are requesting evaluations or when the College is closed for holidays.

Transcript Re-evaluation

Students who believe that transfer credit was overlooked or who have changed or added a program of study may request a re-evaluation. Students should email Julie Sauder, Transcript Specialist ( using the following format:

Subject line of the email: Transcript Re-evaluation

Provide the following information in the body of the email:

  • Full name
  • Student ID number
  • Student program (note any program changes)
  • Institution that sent the transcript
  • Specific courses in question

Transcripts are evaluated in the order in which they are received. Please allow three to five business days for a response.

Rowan-Cabarrus does not accept transfer credit for credit by examination, internship, or Work-Based Learning credit.

Credit may also be awarded for appropriate scores on subject areas of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the Advanced Placement (AP) Program. Official test results from the College Board should be submitted to the Admissions office.

Transferring Professional Certificates for Credit

An enrolling student may request that professional certificates with appropriate documentation be evaluated for full or partial course credit within their major. Additional criteria may be required along with the certificate to receive full course credit. For each area of certification, the appropriate program chair will determine the Rowan-Cabarrus course equivalencies and corresponding certification required for credit. The student should notify the program chair of which course(s) the professional certification is to be applied to by submitting the original professional certificate for review. The student should submit this information during the admissions process; however, a professional certification can be submitted at any time during the student’s enrollment at the college. The program chair will complete the Credit by Professional Certification form along with a copy of the certification, and submit it to the appropriate academic dean for approval. Once approved by the dean, the form will be sent to Records department in Student Services for assignment of credit to the permanent record.

Professional certifications should be current and program chairs can provide information regarding time limits (i.e. within last five years) in order for credits to be awarded for a particular program of study.

Examples of professional certifications and related programs of study:

  • Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Program Certificates → Automotive Systems Technology

Reverse Transfer

The Reverse Transfer Program is a collaborative effort between NC community colleges and the University of NC System.

Students who transfer to a NC university from one of the 58 NC community colleges are given the opportunity to combine the credits earned at the university with credit already earned at the community college to determine if the associate degree requirements have been met.

Eligible students will be asked to participate when they transfer to one of the participating universities through their student services account. There is no cost to the student for sending information and awarding of the degree.

For more information, please review the University of NC System website.