Personal Enrichment & Healthy Living
Motorcycle Basic Rider – Three-Wheel
Download 3-Wheel Flyer
This is a basic, entry-level, learn-to-ride 3-wheel motorcycle training and education course. It provides the same fundamental skills as the MSF Basic Rider Course, but on a 3-wheel, 3-track motorcycles (not sidecars). Rider coaches who have been trained and certified by the MSF conduct the course, which consists of both classroom and hands-on instruction including classroom instruction, riding exercises and a knowledge and skill test. A completion card and DMV Skills Test License Waiver will be issued upon successful completion of the course.
With successful completion of the BRC, you will earn a skills waiver card for the NC DMV. This means that the DMV will not require you to take their motorcycle riding test. However, you will still be required to visit your local DMV office, present your skills waiver card, and take the DMV written exam before being issued a motorcycle endorsement.
This is an accelerated curriculum; each exercise teaches a new skill and builds on one or more previously taught skills. If you miss any portion of a range exercise, you will not be permitted to continue on the range, which will result in failure of the skills portion of this class and will not result in issuance of a waiver card. It is conducted at a pace that results in successful completion for most novice riders.
Three-Wheel Course Objectives
- To develop a safe, responsible motorcyclist
- To develop the mental skills for safe motorcycling
- To develop the physical skills for safe motorcycling
- To create an understanding of risk awareness and risk taking
- To develop strategies to manage risk
- Individuals interested in attending a BRC must be at least 16 years of age. Students under the age of 18 must have the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Waiver of Liability signed by a parent or guardian. This form must be signed IN PERSON on the first day of class. If the parent/guardian is unable to accompany the minor on the first day of class, please contact Sherie Neely at 704-216-3545 or email@example.com for instructions on having the form notarized. The minor WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to participate in the class without this important signature.
- Possession of a driver’s license or learner’s permit is not required to take the course, however, you must be able to ride a bicycle and possess some degree of strength, as the course is physically demanding.
- You must be able to support a motorcycle, while straddling it, and have the ability to push the motorcycle for short distances.
What to Bring:
Students are expected to bring the following riding gear (mandatory to ride on range):
- We provide the motorcycles and a limited number of DOT-approved helmets. Please bring your own helmet if you have one.
- Eye Protection: Helmet face shield, prescription glasses or sunglasses are satisfactory.
- Long Sleeves: Any clothing that covers the arms down to the wrist.
- Gloves: Must be full-fingered.
- Pants: Must be of sturdy material and may not be wind pants, warm-up pants or stretch pants.
- Boots: Must cover anklebone. High top leather tennis shoes and hiking boots are satisfactory. Boots with no heels are preferred.
Can-Am has NO REFUND POLICY for program registration fees. Rescheduling of Motorcycle Safety courses may be allowed if notification is received at least one week prior to class. If you miss your class or are late, no refund will be issued. Our certified rider/coaches are authorized to remove anyone from the course who might pose a danger to themselves or others. We do not anticipate this happening. Additionally, no visitors are allowed on the range. Please do not invite anyone to come and watch, especially minors.
- Course Cost: $250*
- *Promotional Rate of $99 through Can-Am
- Visit the following link to be directed to the Can-Am website for registration and payment:
Classes meet Saturdays & Sundays from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with a one-hour lunch break.
All classes are held at South Campus in Concord, NC. Students should report to Building 3000.
Select the event below for more information on a class.