Writing Center Appointments
Student & Tutor Expectations
We would like to welcome you to the Tutoring Center and hope that you will find your time spent here helpful and rewarding. We do ask that you keep the following in mind while utilizing our services.
Tutors expect that you will…
- Come prepared with all necessary materials (i.e. class notes, assignment guidelines, textbooks, writing drafts, flash drive, calculator, etc.).
- Be an active participant in the tutoring session.
- Be as specific as possible about what you are hoping to achieve in the tutoring session. Ask questions and listen to suggestions.
- Attempt your homework on your own before bringing it to a tutor to help; a tutor cannot do your work for you.
- Be patient and considerate of each other’s needs and work as you will most likely be working with a tutor who is tutoring other students at the same time. We cannot guarantee one-on-one time with any tutor outside of the writing center.
- Help us maintain a positive learning environment by keeping distractions like noise, cell phones and food to a minimum.
You can expect that tutors will…
- Be punctual, supportive, and professional.
- Answer questions to the best of their abilities.
- Work with you but not for you.
- Be knowledgeable about other available resources to assist you.
- Set clear expectations about the session and encourage you to be an independent learner.
- Offer a positive attitude and be respectful of your diverse perspective and learning style.
- Not correct your homework, projects, take-home exams, or math labs. They will provide useful comments and suggestions to help foster independent learning.
- Not try to predict what your grade will be on your assignments and cannot speak for your instructor. Please ask your instructor for any clarification on an assignment or a grade.
We are here to support you in your educational endeavors in any way possible. Please speak to the Tutoring Services Coordinator, Deanna Dixon, if you have any questions or concerns.