Financial Aid

VA Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

Additional frequently asked questions can be found on the VA Education and Training Benefits website.

Which GI Bill® should I apply for?

Eligibility criteria are complex. The following statements are general snippets about eligibility criteria. Students must file an application with the Department of Veterans Affairs, and contact them with any questions regarding eligibility 1-888-442-4551.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33)

Served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days on or after 09/11/2001 or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Must waive all other educational benefits. Benefits may be transferable to spouse and children.

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB-AD)/(Ch. 30)

  • Contributed $1200.00 while on Active Duty
  • (Up to 36 months of education benefits) Generally benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB-SR)/(Ch.1606)

The MGIB-SR program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserve/National Guard.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)/(Ch.35)

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (Ch. 31)

Helps veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs through educational opportunities. Apply online or find an office near you.

North Carolina Children’s Scholarship

Scholarships may be available for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA Veterans. Provided by the State of N.C. – not a federal program

Need more information? U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 1-888-442-4551

How do I get started using my VA Benefits?

Please visit our VA Application Procedures webpage for the admission process.

What are the steps to apply for Tuition Assistance (TA)?

Apply for Tuition Assistance (TA) – Students must first create an account on their TA service portal and gain approval from their service branch. Select the appropriate branch of service below for more information and links to apply for TA:

You will want to begin the process at least 60 days in advance of the term start date to ensure a smooth application process.

Every TA application MUST be approved by your Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to being forwarded to the Voluntary Education Center for final approval, it is not automatic. Please contact your ESO approver for the status prior to the start of classes. The TA application must be approved prior to the start date.

Following ESO approval, you will receive an email notification that your application has been sent to the Voluntary Education Center for final review and authorization. Once the TA application is funded, the service member will receive an email notification.

Will I receive benefits if I attend on a part-time basis?

Yes, you are eligible to receive benefits. Your benefit amount will be pro-rated accordingly. You can use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to assist with calculating benefits or reach out to the Rowan-Cabarrus SCO.

Can I receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid during my enrollment?

Many students are eligible to receive VA Educational Benefits and federal financial aid. We encourage you to apply for both as well as Rowan-Cabarrus scholarships.

Am I eligible for the in-state (resident) rate for tuition & fees?

VA will not pay out-of-state tuition, unless you meet certain requirements as a “Covered Individual“. If you qualify for in-state tuition rates, but you are being charged out-of-state rates please work with your Rowan-Cabarrus School Certifying Official to get this corrected. We may need additional information (ex: DD-214, COE, institutional form).

What is the refund policy for Service Members who utilize TA funds to pay for tuition and fees?

When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. Rowan-Cabarrus Community College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were awarded. These funds are returned to the government, not the student. When a student stops attending due to military service obligation, Rowan-Cabarrus Community College will work with the Service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

Does RCCC offer housing (i.e. housing and meal plans)?

RCCC does not offer on-campus housing or meal plans.  If you have an immediate need, please reach out to our Student Wellness Center for resources: 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.