About the Library
- North 704-216-3691
- South 704-216-3681
- NCRC 704-216-7140
Rowan-Cabarrus students may use the lab computers and are bound by Rowan-Cabarrus’s Acceptable Use Policy. Students who violate the Rowan-Cabarrus Acceptable Use Policy will be asked to leave, reported to the Office of Civilty, and barred from using the computers. If there is a high demand for computers, the Library reserves the right to ask patrons engaged in non-academic activities to discontinue their usage.
- Community patrons may use the computers and are subject to the same rules as Rowan-Cabarrus students.
- Community users are limited to 2 hours of computer usage per day without renewals.
- Due to user agreement terms, they do not have access to specialized programs and do not have remote access to databases.
- To gain access to a computer, they will need to produce a valid state-issued ID and a valid Rowan-Cabarrus community patron Library card.
The Library has laptops available for In-Library use only. They are available for loan from the Circulation Services Desk.
Borrowing a Laptop
To be eligible to borrow a laptop, the Borrower must:
- Present a valid Rowan-Cabarrus student identification card.
- Be a currently registered student.
- Sign the “Laptop Liability Form.”
- Community patrons are not eligible to borrow a laptop.
- The borrower accepts full responsibility for the security of the laptop and all components present at the point of charge and discharge. Should the laptop or any part therein become damaged, lost, or stolen, the borrower agrees to pay (up to $2000.00) for the laptop’s repair or replacement.
- Borrower agrees to provide a valid Student ID as proof of identity at the execution of this agreement and each discharge.
- Laptops are for registered student use only
- Laptops are for in-Library use only.
- Laptops may be borrowed for 2 hours.
- Late charges are $10.00 per hour, up to $100.00.
- Multiple renewals are allowed if laptops are available. To renew, check-in, and check-out again. Due date and time may be modified at the original check-out if the patron needs longer than 2 hours.
- The Library reserves the right to deny renewals if there is a high demand for laptops.
- If the laptop is not returned within three hours, it will be reported stolen, campus police will be notified, and $2000.00 will be charged to the borrower’s record.
- The laptop must be returned at least thirty minutes before the Library closing, even if this does not allow the borrower the entire two-hour loan period.
- Upon expiration of the loan period, the laptop must be returned to a staff member at the Information Commons Desk. Do NOT leave it unattended on the Information Commons desk or any other Library service desk.
- Rowan-Cabarrus is not liable for any loss or damage to the borrower’s data or media.
- Laptop Users must abide by the Rowan-Cabarrus Appropriate Use Policy.
- This agreement must be renewed for each academic year (August – July).
- The Library reserves the right to deny the use of a laptop to the borrower for any reason.
Mobile Internet Hotspots
The Get Connected! program seeks to provide Internet access to curriculum students with little to no access to Internet connectivity. Students come to community College from a wide array of social identities, background experiences, and levels of academic preparedness. Online education is one route for improving educational access and technological literacy for community College students; thus, participation in today’s learning environment relies on the ability to access and use the Internet effectively.
This program aims to bridge the digital divide by removing accessibility and affordability barriers for students. Allowing them access to reliable internet service is essential in meeting their educational goals. Eligible applicants may borrow, free of cost, a mobile Internet hot spot for use during the semester. Regardless of when a hotspot is borrowed, they are always due back at the end of the semester.
To be eligible to borrow a hotspot, the borrower must:
- Be a currently enrolled curriculum student.
- Be in good standing with the Library and College.
- Not have Internet access at their home.
Eligible students who wish to borrow a hotspot must:
- Fill out the Hotspot Request Form on the Rowan-Cabarrus Library homepage.
- Sign and agree to the Get Connected Guidelines.
- Comply with Rowan-Cabarrus’s Acceptable Use Policy.
The following guidelines govern hotspot loans:
- Rowan-Cabarrus cannot guarantee the availability of a hotspot, its service, or connection speed. If no hotspots are available, the patron will be placed on a waiting list.
- Hotspots that are not picked up within seven days of the approved request will be returned to circulation.
- Rowan-Cabarrus, its officials, and its employees are not responsible for any files, data, or confidential information accessed, lost, or damaged during hotspot usage.
- Hotspots may not be returned in the book drop and must be returned directly to a Library staff member.
- Borrowers are charged a $1.00 a day late fee for each day the hotspot is due, up to a maximum of $100.00.
- Borrowers must return the hotspots damage free, in good working condition, with all included parts, and in the original packaging. A hotspot is not considered returned until all included equipment is returned.
- If any component is not returned by the due date, the student will be charged a late fee of $1.00 per day until all equipment has been returned. The cost of damaged or replaced parts are:
- Hotspot: $100.00
- Case: $15.00
- Cord: $15.00
- Charging block: $15.00
- Battery: $30.00
- No replacement equipment will be accepted in place of damaged or lost equipment due to the unique requirements of the vendor’s equipment.
- Hotspots not returned within forty-five days of the due date will have their service terminated, and the borrower will be billed $100.00 to their student account.
- Borrowers who return a hotspot late two semesters in a row may be permanently suspended from borrowing a hotspot.
The Library lends Texas Instruments TI-84 calculators to students currently enrolled in a Math or related course offering (i.e., Chemistry, Physics, etc.) at Rowan-Cabarrus. Eligible patrons may borrow a calculator for use during the semester free of cost. Regardless of when a calculator is borrowed, they are always due back at the end of the semester.
To be eligible to borrow a calculator, the borrower must:
- Present a valid Rowan-Cabarrus student identification card
- Be currently enrolled in a Math course or related course offering (i.e., Chemistry, Physics, etc.) at Rowan-Cabarrus, and
- Show proof of enrollment in the Math course or related course offering (i.e., Chemistry, Physics, etc.). Proof is defined as a printed copy of the student’s current schedule.
Borrowers are charged a $1.00 a day late fee for each day the calculator is overdue, up to a maximum of $100.00. Calculators not returned within forty-five days of the due date will be billed $100.00 to their student account.
Headphones are available for In-Library use only. They are available at the Circulation Services Desk for 2- hour loan periods and are eligible for one renewal based on availability.
A valid Rowan-Cabarrus identification card or Community Borrower card must be presented to borrow headphones.
CD-ROMS & DVD Players/Writers
USB connectable DVD players are available for In-Library use only. They are available at the Circulation Services Desk for 3-hour loan periods and are eligible for one renewal based on availability.
A valid Rowan-Cabarrus identification card or Community Borrower card must be presented to borrow DVD players.