Office of Civility

Protection Orders

Community Organizations providing support for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault may also provide direct assistance with obtaining a protection order. That is, help with transportation, obtaining and completing the correct forms, identifying the steps in the process, and with court appearances. Contact an agency in your area, or call one of the national hotlines.

  • Family Crisis Center  704-636-4718
  • Esther house – Cabarrus County  704-961-7502
  • Cabarrus Victims Assistance Network (CVAN)  704-788-2826
  • National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline  1-800-656-4673
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline  1-800-799-7233

Domestic Violence Protection Order (50-B)

Individuals, over the age of 18 years, may seek legal protection from relationship violence by someone you have had a personal or family relationship.

  • Spouse or ex-spouse
  • A person of the opposite sex whom you live with currently or have lived with in the past
  • Parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren, over the age of 16
  • A person with whom you have a child in common
  • A current or former household member
  • A person of the opposite sex whom you are dating or have dated

Obtaining a Domestic Violence Protection Order

To obtain a domestic violence protection order, contact the Clerk of Courts (Civil Division) in your county of residence.

  • Ask for the forms to initiate a Domestic Violence Protection Order
  • If you need immediate or emergency protection, ask for a temporary (ex parte) order
  • Complete the necessary forms
  • Provide a detailed description of the most recent violent act, using action language (slapping, hitting, grabbing, threatening, etc.) that fits your situation
  • Include details and dates, if possible
  • Provide a valid address

The Domestic Violence Protection Order will need to be served by the appropriate Sheriff’s Department. Once issued, keep a copy of the protection order with you at all times. Typically, protection orders are time limited until a court hearing through which a protection order may be issued for one year.

Civil No Contact Order (NCGS § 50C)

Individuals may seek protection from unwanted sexual conduct or stalking by an acquaintance, co-worker, neighbor, or stranger. That is, protection from someone outside a domestic relationship. To obtain a No Contact Order, go to the Clerk of Courts (Civil Division) in your county of residence, the other person’s county of residence, or the county where the stalking or unwanted sexual conduct occurred.

For additional or more detailed information, please contact the Clerk of Courts Office in your county.

  • Rowan County Clerk of Court – Civil Division | 210 N Main St, Salisbury, NC 28144 | 704-797-3001
  • Cabarrus County Clerk of Court – Civil Division | 77 Union St South, Concord, NC 28025 | 704-262-5500