Office of Civility

Student Formal Complaints

Rowan-Cabarrus Community College defines a formal complaint as a written expression of dissatisfaction with the performance of a college employee, a specific college experience, and/or a college procedure.

Consistent with rules established by the U.S. Department of Education and Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges, Rowan-Cabarrus provides all enrolled and prospective students with contact information for submitting complaints directly to the College.

Rowan-Cabarrus has established specific procedures for certain specific complaints. For example, formal complaints regarding grades are subject to the Grade Appeal Procedure; complaints regarding discrimination are subject to the Student Grievance policy. Students will be expected to initiate their concerns or express their concern in accordance with those specific policies. Specific formal procedures and forms are listed below:

The College expects that most issues (such as those related service, classroom, technology or facilities) will be resolved informally through a discussion between the student and the appropriate faculty or staff member. Should a resolution not be reached, the student must submit a formal written complaint through our online Student Complaint Form.

Generally, students should submit a formal complaint within 30 days after the action that gives rise to the complaint. The time frame may be suspended under exceptional circumstances. The College will work with students toward a satisfactory resolution within established policies, procedures and administrative rules. At a minimum, the College will include written formal complaints as part of a continuous improvement process.

For further information, please contact:

Jonathan Rowe, Executive Director, Student Success South Campus and College Civility
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
South Campus
1531 Trinity Church Rd.
Concord, N.C. 28027

Phone: 704-216-3723

State Post-Secondary Education Complaints

The Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office serves as the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, they can review the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints’ website, where students can review the Student Complaint Process and complete the Student Complaint Form. Please submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

For more information, please call 919-962-4558 or email

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s website. North Carolina residents may call 877-566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call 919-716-6000. En Espanol 919-716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001