Registration & Tuition
Calculating Grade-Point Average (GPA)
The GPA for one semester is obtained by the following method.
- For each course, multiply the total semester hour credits for the course by the number of quality points awarded for the grade in the class (see table above). This is the grade point for the course.
- Add together the grade points for all courses.
- Divide the sum of all grade points by the total number of semester credit hours. This is the grade-point average.
GPA Calculation Example
For example, Joe Smith has the following schedule and earned the following grades.
|Course||Semester Credit Hours||Joe Smith’s Grade||Quality Points||Grade Points
(Semester Credit Hours x Quality Points)
- Total Grade Points = 29
- Total Semester Credit Hours = 10
- Grade-Point Average (Total Grade Points / Total Semester Credit Hours) = 2.9
Cumulative Grade-Point Average
The cumulative GPA is determined by using the total grade points in two or more semesters divided by the total course credits attempted in two or more semesters.