Registration & Tuition
Graduation Ceremony Etiquette
It is our desire that your graduation ceremony reflect the honor, respect, and dignity of this important day. In keeping with these goals, we ask that you observe the following guidelines and that you are aware of some special arena guidelines. Please share these guidelines with your guests.
- All participants are expected to follow Rowan-Cabarrus Community College behavior standards.
- Please silence all noise making electronic devices during the ceremony.
- Wear appropriate clothing under your academic gown (e.g. dark slacks, dark shoes). Men should wear long pants.
- No unauthorized attachments to your cap or gown are allowed.
- No carrying balloons or other items during the ceremony.
- Handbags and other personal items should be left with your guests or family members. Rowan-Cabarrus will not be responsible for items left in Event Center A or in the Arena.
- Only Phi Theta Kappa, Phi Beta Lambda and Sigma Alpha Pi (recognized honor societies) may wear appropriate stoles and chords.
- No alcoholic beverages, weapons, noise-making devices, glass bottles, cans, beach balls and other inflatable items.
- We ask that guests be respectful of graduates and other guests holding applause and celebration until after all graduates have walked across the stage.
- Guests may honor their graduate by standing when their graduate’s name is called.
- Guests should remain until the ceremony comes to a close. Every graduate has worked hard to earn this day and having guests leaving during the ceremony is disrupting.
Tassels and Caps
- Tassels are worn on the right side of the cap and shifted to the the left side after conferment.
- Men will remove caps for the Invocation (opening prayer), and the Benediction (closing prayer) and put them back on immediately at the end of each prayer.