Health Occupation Programs
Health Occupation Programs & Courses
This course is eligible for the GEER Scholarship.
The phlebotomy training course is 185 hours in length, divided into 49 hours of lecture and student lab training and 136 hours of clinical experience.
What does a phlebotomist do? Find out from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
This course provides theory and clinical experiences needed for the proper collection of blood and other specimens used for diagnostic testing. Emphasis is placed on: ethics, legalities, medical terminology, safety and universal precautions, health care delivery systems, patient relations, anatomy and physiology, and specimen collection.
Students will practice venipunctures on a mechanical arm until competent. Once competency is established, students will perform supervised venipunctures on clinical laboratory patients. Clinical sites include: CMC Northeast, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, the VA Medical Center, Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, and Rowan Family Physicians.
Upon successful program completion, students will be eligible to sit for the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) national certification exam.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Students must produce the following documentation to register:
- Completed Phlebotomy Application.
- Evidence of U.S. issued High School Diploma or GED/HSE
- Unexpired government-issued picture ID
- Must have background check/drug screen (current fee $90.75)
- Please contact Casey Hinson (email@example.com, 704-216-3452) to receive these instructions.
- Students must clear both a background check and drug screen prior to the first day of class. Students will be provided directions once vaccine verifications are completed and student registration is open.
- These tests must be current (no more than 30 days prior to the class start date) and cannot be used for or carried over to any other class.
- Required textbook: Phlebotomy: A Competency Based Approach (With Connect access code card) (Ed. 5) ISBN: 9781260266573
- Order your textbook from the Online Bookstore
- Class registration costs $200.43.
Once you have met all requirements, you may register through Casey Hinson (firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-216-3452).
Select the event below for more information on a class.
March 2, 2021 Class: student registration opens February 8, 2021 at 7 a.m.
May 4, 2021 Class: student registration opens April 6, 2021 at 7 a.m.
For More Information
Casey Hinson (email@example.com, 704-216-3452)